The University's Auto Self-Insurance program DOES NOT cover rental cars!

However, if you are renting a vehicle for University business, you can obtain free insurance for the vehicle if:

  • You rent from an approved rental car agency (Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National and Thrifty). For more information please go HERE.

UC's contracts with these rental agencies include coverage for damage to the rental vehicle, injuries to people, or damage to other property. 

If none of the approved agencies have an outlet at your pick-up location, or if you need a specialized vehicle (such as a truck with a lift gate or off-road vehicle), purchase coverage for (1) damage to the rental vehicle itself and (2) damage to people and other property, and the insurance will be reimbursable as a travel expense.

You MUST purchase additional insurance when renting in Alaska, Hawaii, U.S. territories, or foreign countries (even with the use of the UC ID number). The insurance cost will be reimbursable.

For more about insurance for rental vehicles that accommodate disabled drivers and/or passengers, go here. For more information about renting cars in general, please email