Compliance/Financial Considerations

If you intend to do any of the following in Albania, please contact Risk Services at or 642-5141:

  • Hire a local to work for you as an employee
  • Purchase or lease office or research space
  • Purchase or lease an automobile
  • Establish a long-term (over 90 days) or ongoing project
  • Conduct a clinical trial 


Foreign activities may trigger many U.S. laws, including:

  • Import Controls
  • Export Controls
  • Tax Reporting
  • Foreign Bank Account Reporting
  • Country Embargoes and Targeted Sanctions
  • Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
  • Anti-Boycott Laws 

Import Controls. UC employees must adhere to U.S. import requirements, and may need to enlist the services of a customs broker, especially for shipments arriving by sea and subject to the Importer Security Filing 71730, also known as ISF 10+2. 

Export Controls. Export controls may apply to advanced software and technology, research data, and other sensitive assets. UC’s Export Compliance FAQ contains useful information and can be found here.  Go here for the University of California plan for compliance with federal export controls. If you plan on taking or sending potentially export-controlled materials to Albania, consult the campus Research Administration Compliance Office at 642-0120. 

Tax Reporting. The University and its employees may be taxed in foreign countries. The United States does not have a tax treaty with Albania. For more information about double taxation issues, contact the Controller’s Office at:

Foreign Bank Account Reporting. The U.S. Treasury Department requires U.S. citizens with a financial interest in or signatory authority over a financial account in a foreign country, where accounts exceed $10,000 at any point during a calendar year, to report such accounts on a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FinCen Report 114). Those needing to complete the form should contact the Controller’s Office at or 643-9803 for assistance. An IRS 1040 Schedule B form (Part III–Foreign Accounts and Trusts) must be filed by the signatory for any foreign bank account, regardless of the account balance. 

Country Embargoes and Targeted Sanctions. In general, collaborations between University personnel and scholars at foreign institutions or organizations do not require export licenses unless they involve export-controlled or -restricted research or involve scholars in sanctioned countries. Before engaging in an international collaboration, the University needs to determine whether export licenses are required and to verify that the foreign collaborator is not blocked or sanctioned. The Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) is responsible for enforcing all U.S. embargoes and sanctions. Depending on each country’s embargo or sanction program, activities may be prohibited without specific authorization or license. UC’s International Collaborations webpage contains additional information on this topic.   

The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) is intended to stop bribery. It prohibits offering to pay, paying, promising to pay, or authorizing the payment of money or anything of value to a foreign official. The term “foreign official” generally includes any employee or contractor of a foreign government, and may include individuals employed by foreign universities. It is also unlawful to make a payment to a third party knowing that all or part of the payment will go to a foreign official. For more information, review the federal government’s Resource Guide to the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. If you need further clarification, contact the UC Berkeley Office of Legal Affairs at 642-7122. Transparency International’s 2018 survey of perceived public sector corruption rated Albania at 36 out of 100 (99th out of 180 countries reviewed, i.e. corrupt). 

Anti-Boycott Laws.  The U.S. Department of Commerce is responsible for oversight of laws prohibiting individuals and entities from participating in boycotts not approved or sanctioned by the U.S. government. The Export Administration Act requires that requests to participate in such boycotts or to conduct activities in any of the boycotting countries be formally reported to the Department of Commerce and/or IRS.

For other compliance-related issues, refer to UC’s International Compliance webpage.   


Foreign Bank Accounts. Employees wishing to open a foreign bank account should contact the Controller’s Office at or 643-9803. Requests to open accounts must be made through the Office of the President’s Banking and Treasury Services Group by the Chancellor or the Chancellor’s designee. 

Real Estate Agreements. Only employees with delegated authority to sign contracts on behalf of The Regents may enter into agreements, leases, or other contracts.  Foreign affiliates or operations must submit to the Real Estate Services Office property management agreements, personal property leases, or contracts with a term longer than one year or in an amount greater than $25,000 per year. The campus then seeks approval from the University president or designee. For more information, consult the Guidelines for the Establishment and Operation of Foreign Affiliate Organizations and Foreign Operations


The US State Department's page on ALBANIA may be found HERE.

Personal Safety


Note: this page contains basic risk information. For more details, please contact the Risk Services Office at

If you are traveling to Albania on University-related business, please sign up for the University’s travel insurance program by going here. For more information on the travel insurance program, please go here

Because everyone’s health is unique, we suggest seeking the advice of a medical professional before traveling internationally. Members of the campus community interested in protecting their health while abroad may schedule an appointment with the University Health Services International Travel Clinic

Health care in Albania is average overall, but ranges widely. Generally, care is worst in rural and public medical facilities and best in urban, private facilities. Medication may be in short supply, so travelers should bring enough for the duration of their stay.

Air pollution is a concern in urban areas. If you have a chronic respiratory condition such as asthma, please consult a medical professional prior to your trip and carry appropriate medications.

The quality of drinking water in Albania may be poor, especially in rural areas. To reduce the risk of gastrointestinal discomfort or illness, drink bottled, boiled, or purified water.

Street vendors and other unregulated food distributors may have poor hygiene standards and should be avoided. Travelers should also avoid raw or undercooked meat dishes and unpasteurized dairy products, which may harbor bacterial and parasitic pathogens.

Disease risks in Albania include:

  • Tick-borne encephalitis. Exposure is highest from April to November in forests and fields below 5,000 feet elevation.
  • Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic Fever (CCHF), usually transmitted through the bite of an infected tick. Symptoms include fever, neck pain, light sensitivity, headaches, nausea,  and bleeding into the skin, mouth, and internal organs. Exposure is nationwide, with most cases reported between April and September in forested areas below 2,500 feet.
  • Hepatitis E, transmitted via contaminated food and water. High risk in Albania.
  • Leishmaniasis, transmitted by sand flies. Period of highest risk is dusk to dawn.

Crime is a moderate but decreasing risk for travelers. As tourism rises, so does Albania’s commitment to good policing. That said, law enforcement officers tend to be poorly paid and inclined toward corruption and extortion, although it’s unusual for them to ask travelers for bribes. Police officers are typically unable to speak foreign languages, so communication in the event of an emergency may be difficult. Street crime (including theft and burglary) is common in urban areas, mostly at night. Travelers are advised not to resist if confronted by robbers. Avoid the marijuana-producing region of Lazarat.

Albania’s roads tend to be poorly maintained and badly lit, so nighttime vehicular travel is discouraged. Public transportation is limited and generally unsafe. The best transportation option is daytime travel in personal vehicles or taxis arranged by reputable hosts or hotels. 


Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law. 

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. 

Special Circumstances:

  • Albania's customs authorities enforce strict regulations concerning temporary import or export of particular items from Albania. Contact the Embassy of Albania in Washington, D.C. in the United States for customs requirements.
  • The Albanian Government considers any person with at least one Albanian parent to be an Albanian citizen. Dual nationals may be subject to laws that impose special obligations on Albanian citizens. Please contact the Embassy of Albania in Washington, D.C. for information, and see additional information pertaining to dual nationality.

LGBTI Travelers: There are no legal restrictions on same-sex sexual relations or the organization of LGBTI events in Albania. Albanian law does not permit same-sex marriage and does not legally recognize other countries’ same-sex marriage certificates. The government does not prosecute or discriminate against same-sex relationships. Same-sex married couples cannot apply for family residency permits, but they may register individually. Despite the law and the government’s formal support for LGBTI rights, homophobic attitudes remain.