Events with Alcohol

Undergraduate Events. In accordance with University policy, alcohol is not permitted at on-campus events hosted by undergraduate Registered Student Organizations.

Other Campus Events. All other campus events that include alcohol must follow the Policies Pertaining to the Use of Alcoholic Beverages on Campus issued by the UCPD. The policies include the following:

1. The event shall be sponsored by a unit or department of the University.

2. Use of the particular facility involved shall be approved by the office(s) having usual responsibility for that facility.

3. State law prohibits the unlicensed sale of alcoholic beverages. The campus has been advised by the State Department of Alcoholic Beverages Control that this prohibition precludes the charge of admission for any event at which alcoholic beverages are served or otherwise provided. Therefore, unless a valid permit has been obtained, alcoholic beverages shall not be sold either directly or indirectly by some mechanism such as the exchange of tickets which have been purchased or by the use of funds derived from admission charges, dues, donations, or other payments collected in connection with admission to the event.

4. Alcoholic beverages shall not be purchased from State Registration Fee appropriations.

5. The sponsor of the event shall establish controls which will ensure that all persons present in the area where alcoholic beverages are served and consumed are at least 21 years of age.

6. The event shall be open to a prescribed group only.

7. The sponsor of any such event or his/her designee shall be present at the event and shall be responsible for the maintenance of proper decorum and compliance with law and relevant University and campus regulations.

Advertising. In accordance with campus policy, alcoholic beverages may not be advertised or promoted either on the Berkeley campus or at off-campus activities or events sponsored by campus units or campus-recognized groups and attended by students. Campus-recognized groups include organizations of students, employees, or alumni that are registered with the campus or that use the name of either the University of California or the Berkeley campus.

Liability ConcernsAnyone under 21 who drinks alcohol and anyone serving alcohol to someone under 21 is guilty of a misdemeanor under California Business & Professions Code Section 25658. Serving alcohol to an obviously intoxicated person is a misdemeanor under California Business & Professions Code Section 25602The University’s insurance programs rarely cover employees charged with criminal behavior.

Liquor Licenses. Under University Delegation of Authority 554, no individual, group, or campus acting in the name of The Regents or in the name of the University may apply for a license to engage in the sale of any alcoholic beverage, including beer. Any license to provide or sell alcoholic beverages on campus must be issued in the name of an organization such as a faculty club, food service vendor, alumni group, or other independent entity. Chancellors have delegated authority to submit to the State Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control statements on behalf of organizations applying for licenses to serve liquor on campus. A written request that the license be issued and a written statement setting forth the reasons why issuance of the license would be in the public interest are both required before issuance of any license for an organization operating on University premises.

Campus units or departments hosting events with alcohol must hire a caterer with a liquor license and at least $1 million in liquor liability insurance to distribute alcohol at the event.