Each year the Office of the President-Risk Services provides funding to pilot initiatives that prevent losses and reduce risk to general safety, campus property and vehicles, as well as employment practices liability. The program is called Be Smart About Safety, or BSAS. At Berkeley, Risk Services evaluates applications from both a risk and cost perspective, then upon approval, administers the funds. In some cases, we may only be able to fund part of a loss prevention project. (There is a separate BSAS grant that addresses initiatives to reduce injuries on the job, those are administered by EH&S.)
All applications are subject to approval from the Chancellor’s Office and the Office of the President-Risk Services.
If you are aware of a serious general, property, or automobile risk that a relatively small appropriation can fix you should consider applying for these funds.
- Proposals must explicitly demonstrate loss reducing strategies with SMART goals
- Incomplete proposals will not be reviewed
- All applications and supporting materials should be submitted electronically, as attachments, and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- All materials must be received no later than 5:00 pm on Friday, May 15th 2020 (updated)
- Security signs and mirrors
- Rear-facing cameras on vehicles
- Emergency evacuation wheelchairs
- Tree removal
- Salary or FTE positions
- Supplementing departmental budget