Get Insurance

On-Campus Insurance

The University has purchased a commercial insurance policy to cover most on-campus Registered Student Organization events. Student organizations are responsible for making sure their on-campus events are covered under the policy.

There are three steps to make sure your events are covered. 

  1. Make sure your student organization is registered with the LEAD Center. Coverage funded by the University is available only for REGISTERED STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS.
  2. Obtain a signed Facilities Use Permit (FUP) or other form of facility reservation confirmation from the department in charge of the facility your organization wants to use.
  3. Go to the CampusConnexions website or call the Mercer Student Coverage Line toll-free at 866.838.9536 between 6 a.m. and 3 p.m. Monday through Friday.

The third step is necessary only for events with one or more of the following characteristics:

  • They are deemed hazardous by the insurer (see the list under the heading "4. Restricted Sports and Events" here(link is external))
  • The campus department in charge of the facility requires a certificate of insurance. 
  • They involve more than 5,000 people.
  • They are open to the general public.
  • They include distribution or sale of food, beverages, or souvenirs worth more than $10,000. 
  • They include your driving and parking other people's vehicles as part of a valet-like service. 
  • They require any other use of vehicles that would require insurance.
  • They include amusements, such as carnival rides.
  • They include inflatables, i.e. bounce houses.
  • They involve sports activities
  • They include youth participants (under 18 years old)
  • They qualify as a Major Event under the campus's Major Event policy.

NOTE: Fraternities and sororities with nationals are now eligible for RSO Event Liability coverage if their event meets the following criteria:

  • A written declination of coverage from the national is provided with the application.
  • The event is philanthropic or community service-based in nature.
  • There is no alcohol exposure.

If you have questions or need guidance through the insurance process, see your LEAD Center advisor. You may also contact Risk Services at sends e-mail).

Off-Campus Insurance

Although the University cannot require you to obtain insurance for off-campus events, having insurance is recommended, especially for events involving physical activity. In some cases, you may have no choice but to obtain insurance because the outside facility hosting the event demands proof of coverage before allowing the event to occur. It's best to seek coverage two weeks or more before your event, in case there are complications.

To obtain insurance for an off-campus event:

  1. Find out from the host facility exactly what kind of insurance it wants. Insurance is purchased in types and amounts, so typically the host facility will ask for something like $1 million worth of commercial general liability insurance. It's better to get this information in writing than to take it down over the phone; it's a lot easier to email/scan/fax the information to an insurance agent than to repeat it verbally.
  2. Find an insurance agent. You can start with the University's insurance broker by going here and clicking on the "Off-Campus Events" tab or calling toll-free at 866.838.9536 between 6 a.m. and 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please note that insurance for off-campus events is not paid for by the University.
  3. If you don't like the quote you get from the University's broker, you're welcome to shop around.